This guide will show you how to connect your EV3 robot with the Open Roberta Lab by using our Chrome app.
For connecting the EV3 robot with the Open Roberta Lab by using a Chrome app you need a specific application. This application is available for different operation systems. You need to use a Chrome Browser Download Chrome Browser. You may download the free Chrome Browser by following this link:
The Open Roberta Crome App works out of the box on Cromebooks and on Linux computers. For Windows a driver is required, that is available in the Windows installation, but it is not automatically installed for the EV3. This guide (Windows 7) shows how to install the driver step by step. For Windows 8 and 10 we provide this guide. The Mac OS version also requires a dedicated driver, which is available at http://joshuawise.com/horndis. Detailed instructions for this will follow soon.
Step 3: Connect EV3 Roboter with the Open Roberta Lab
The guide below shows step by step how to establish the connection between EV3 robot and the Open Roberta Lab.
- First start the EV3 Robot. This may take some time.
- Start the Open Roberta EV3 app. It should look like this:
- Connect your EV3 Robot to the PC:
- insert the large plug of the USB cable into a free USB connector of your computer;
- insert the small plug of the USB cable into the EV3 brick close to the motor port D. The port is labelled "PC", close to the motor ports.
- The first time it may take some time while the computer is establishing the drivers for this connection. Wait until the "Connect" butten is active and a little robot symbol is displayed in the upper right corner.
- Now click on "Connect". The app computes a keyword (token) for the Robot.
- In the Open Roberta Lab with Robot/connect you enter the keyword (token) and click »OK«.
- The connection is established.
- The EV3 Roboter gives a sound and displays a Roberta Symbol in the upper right corner.
- In the Open Roberta EV3 app a green Roberta image is displayed in the upper right corner. Also, the name of the connected EV3 brick is shown.
- In the Open Roberta Lab the connection is indicated by the green Robot name in the upper right corner.