These are some brief instructions on how to connect your robot to the Open Roberta Lab using an Ethernet cable or WiFi. You will have to install a small program to connect your robot with the Open Roberta Lab.
Step 1 Install the Open Roberta NAO program
To connect your robot to the Open Roberta Lab with Ethernet or WiFi you need to install the Open Roberta NAO software first . The Open Roberta NAO Software is available for different operating systems. Follow the instructions for the operating system that is installed on your computer.
Follow the numbered instructions under Windows 7.
To install the program you need administrator rights for your computer. Unfortunately, the program can not be installed without administrator rights.
- If you do not have Java 8 or later installed on your PC, download and install it from link.
- Choose the latest installer file OpenRobertaNAOSetupEN_x.y.z-SNAPSHOT.msi from this link.
- Locate the file »OpenRobertaNAOSetupEN_x.y.z-SNAPSHOT.msi« in your download folder. The folder where your downloaded files are saved depends on your browser's settings, most often it is the "Downloads" folder in your home directory.
- Double click on the installer file to start the installation process.
- During the installation process you will have to confirm several times with »yes« or »next« .
- After the installation is done you will find a shortcut »Open Roberta NAO« in the start menu and on the desktop. Start the program by double clicking on the Open Roberta NAO shortcut.
continue with step 2 (see below).
Windows 8, 10
For Windows 8 and 10 you can use the same installer for the Open Roberta NAO program as for Windows 7.
- If you do not have Java 8 or later installed on your PC, use your package manager or this link to download and install it.
- Choose the latest installer package OpenRobertaNAOLinuxSetup_x.y.z-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz from this link
- Find »OpenRobertaNAOLinuxSetup_x.y.z-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz« in your download folder.
- Extract the package content at desired location.
- Run the install.sh script in terminal:
sudo sh install.sh
- After the installation is done you will find the OpenRobertaUSB in Apps.
Mac OS X
Currently there is no installer available for Mac OS X.
Step 2 Connect a robot to the Open Roberta Lab
The following instruction will help you to connect your robot to the Open Roberta Lab.
- Turn on the robot; it may take some time to start.
- Open the Open Roberta NAO program (you should see the screen below).
- Connect your robot to your computer.
- plug an Ethernet cable into your computer and into the Ethernet socket located on the back of NAOs head OR
- connect your NAO with an available WiFi network. Enter the ip address of your robot into a brwoser and use the web interface to establish a connection to a WiFi network.
- Now enter the ip address of your robot into the designated field. The robot will tell you its current ip address when you push the robots chest button. Additionally you have to enter the username and password that you use to log into the web interface.
- Click on »connect«. The program calculates the token for your robot.
- Insert the token in the Open Roberta Lab in robot/connect and click »OK«.
- The connection is established.
- In the Open Roberta NAO program the robot symbol is shown in green color and also the name of the robot is shown.
- In the Open Roberta Lab the connection is monitored by the green robot symbol shown in the upper right corner.