These are some brief instructions on how to connect your robot to the Open Roberta Lab using an USB cable. You will have to install a small program to test that the connection is working.
Step 1 Install the Open RobertaConnector
To connect the your robot to the Open Roberta Lab via with USB cable you need special to first install the Open Roberta USB software. The Open Roberta Connector USB Software is available for different operating systems. Just follow these instructions to install the Open Roberta Connector Follow the instructions for the operating system that is installed on your computer.Before you install the program for the first time, you should consider the following things:
Follow the numbered instructions under Windows 7.
If you program your NXT for the first time on your computer, you have to download and install the NXT Fantom Driver. Please follow this link: https://www.lego.com/deen-de/themesus/mindstorms/downloads?ignorereferer=true
To install the program you need administrator rights for your computer. Unfortunately, the program can not be installed without administrator rights.
- Choose the latest installer file OpenRobertaUSBNXTSetupEN_x_y_z.msi from this link.
- Locate the file »OpenRobertaUSBNXTSetupEN_x_y_z.msi« in your download folder. The folder where your downloaded files are saved depends on your browser's settings, most often it is the "Downloads" folder in your home directory.
- Double click on the installer file to start the installation process.
- During the installation process you will have to confirm several times with »yes« or »next« .
- After the installation is done you will find a shortcut »Open Roberta USB NXT« in the start menu and on the desktop. Start the program by double clicking on the Open Roberta USB NXT shortcut.
continue with step 2 (see below).
Windows 8, 10
For Windows 8 and 10 you can use the same installer for the Open Roberta USB program as for Windows 7.
- Choose the latest installer package OpenRobertaUSBNXTLinux_x_y_z.tar.gz from this link.
- Find »OpenRobertaUSBNXTLinux_x_y_z.tar.gz« in your download folder.
- Extract the package content at desired location.
- Run the install.sh script in terminal:
sudo sh install.sh
- After the installation is done you will find the OpenRobertaUSBNXT in Apps.
Mac OS X
- Choose the installer package OpenRobertaUSBMacOSX_x_y_z.pkg from this link.
- Find »OpenRobertaUSBMacOSX_x_y_z.pkg« in your download folder.
- Right click on it and choose Open with installation program.
- During the installation process you will have to confirm several times with »yes« or »next«.
- After the installation is done you will find the OpenRobertaUSB in Apps. Start the program by double clicking on it.
Step 2 Connect a robot to the Open Roberta Lab
The following instruction will help you to connect your robot to the Open Roberta Lab.
- Turn on the robot; it may take some time to start.
- Open the Open Roberta USB program (you should see the screen below).
- Connect your robot to your computer. Plug in:
- The big end of the USB cable from the robot into a free USB port on your computer, and
- the mini USB connector into the robot brick, on the top, next to motor port D, if you have an NXT for example.
- On the first time it may take a while before the computer finds the pre-installed drivers for this connection. Wait until the »connect« button is activated in the program and the robot icon turns red.
- Click on »connect«. The program calculates the token for your robot.
- Insert the token in the Open Roberta Lab in robot/connect and click »OK«.
- The connection is established.
- The robot plays a melody and displays on its screen in the upper right the Roberta icon or may just beep.
- In the Open Roberta USB program the robot symbol is shown in green color and also the name of the robot is shown.
- In the Open Roberta Lab the connection is monitored by the green robot symbol shown in the upper right corner.